08 Oct MAPS Board Election October 30th, 2015
MAPS Board Election 2015 (October 30th)
This email contains information on the eligibility requirements and overall process for the elections of the available positions on MAPS Board of Directors (BoD).
In accordance with the MAPS By-Laws, the current BoD has invoked an independent Election Committee (EC) comprising of Abdul Rabb Khazi, Khizer Sheriff and Tarek Ghonaim. The EC is chartered to run the election process as an independent body and in-line with the MAPS By-Laws. As such, the EC members and their family members are not eligible to run for elections. The Election Committee can be reached by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2015 MAPS elections will be conducted on Friday, October 30, 2015. The elections will be held for 5 board positions, and will include voting for any amendments brought forward to the Election Committee from eligible MAPS members.
Friday, October 16th 5:00 PM – LAST DAY for nomination and amendment submission. Please start sending your nominations and by-law amendment requests to the Election Committee by email at: email@example.com
Tuesday, October 20th – Amendments text and verified candidate list published to MAPS membership
Friday, October 23rd – Candidate bios published to MAPS membership
Sunday, October 25th – Candidate Forum
Friday, October 30th – Election Day
Active MAPS members meeting the following requirements will be eligible to be nominated. In addition, the nominees will be required to attest to serving the community in accordance with the MAPS Vision and By-laws. The EC will validate the candidate’s eligibility once the nomination forms have been received.
Qualifications of the Board Member shall include:
- Be a voting member of the Association for at least one year. In the event that an otherwise qualified person is needed to fill a vacancy but has been a member of the Association for less than a year, a motion can be brought to the general assembly to lower the requirement to 180 days for that specific person. The general assembly can approve the motion with more than 50% of votes.
- Sound Islamic beliefs and practices
- Abstains from Kaba’er (major Islamic violations)
- Be a regular attendee to the Masjid and an active participant as a volunteer or a leader of activities of the Masjid and the Association
- Be committed to supporting the Association
- Must have good people management skills
- Must have good communication skills necessary to conduct the affairs of the Association including verbal, written, and electronic, such as email.
- Women can hold any of the positions with the exception of President, Vice President, and Religious Affairs Secretary
Active MAPS members meeting the following requirements will be eligible to vote for the candidates on the ballot.
Eligibility to Vote
An association member becomes eligible to vote if he/she meets the following conditions:
- Must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Completes a registration form and pays the membership dues set by the Board of Directors.
- The term of membership is two years and must be renewed at the end of two years for membership to remain current. Membership is automatically terminated for failure to renew.
Only voting members shall have voting rights. Each voting member shall be entitled to only one vote. A member, whose dues are in arrears, loses the right to vote or run for election to Board of Directors or Board of Trustees as long as he/she is in such arrears. New members shall not have voting rights until 180 days have elapsed since their joining and payment of dues.
The EC will publish the nomination forms to MAPS membership. The nominations will require two MAPS members to recommend an eligible candidate and candidate’s acceptance of the nomination and attestation to uphold the MAPS Vision and By-laws. The EC will also accept any by-law amendments during this period. The nominations process and amendment submission will close at 5:00pm PST on Monday, October 19th 2015. The EC will validate candidate eligibility and publish the eligible candidate list and amendments submitted by Wednesday, October 23rd 2015.
Please find below the link to nomination form.
The nomination form can be used to send your nomination to the election committee. Note that nomination has to be seconded by second voting member to be accepted. Please fill out the form, email it to the Elections Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org, and cc the person seconding the nomination. We will confirm the validity of the nomination by reviewing the eligibility requirements.
Also attached a file and a link below for the amendments submission form, which can be used to submit any by-law amendment for voting at the General Assembly.
The EC will request the candidates to provide a bio to be published to the MAPS membership. The due date for bio submission is 5:00pm PST, Thursday, October 22nd 2015. The EC will publish the candidate bios to the MAPS membership once reviewed for publishing.
The elections will be held on Friday, October 30th, 2015. The ballot counting will be done in the presence of the General Assembly and the results of the elections announced once ballot counting has been completed. As per MAPS by-laws, the General Assembly holding more than 50% of the voting members shall constitute a quorum. In the case where quorum is not attained, MAPS by-law defined process will be used for voting on the amendments.
Please feel free to reach out to EC if you have any questions or comments.
Abdul Rabb, Khizer, Tarek